Friday, September 6, 2013

R.I.P Ann Crispin

     Ann Crispin (writing as A.C. Crispin), was a major science-fiction writer. Two days ago, she gave her "Farewell" post on Facebook.
     She died this morning after a 2-year battle with cancer.
     Her expertise in writing "backstories" was renowned. When LucasFilms wanted a backstory on Han Solo, Ann was the one who wrote it. She wrote the backstory on Sarek, Spock's father for the Star Trek universe, and most recently wrote "The Price of Freedom" for the Pirates of the Caribbean, detailing Jack Sparrow's life before he became a pirate.
     She knew that aspiring writers were vulnerable and was a co-founder of Writer Beware , a resource tool to prevent aspiring writers from falling victim to unscrupulous and/or fly-by-night publishers, literary agents, "editors" and "author mills."
     When she wasn't doing that, she taught writing workshops and guided many a young writer in the right direction. One won a Nebula (MAJOR sci-fi prize) for her work, and many others have gone on to "published author" status.
     With writers like me who've benefitted from her mentoring and friendship writing (and still pushing to be published), her influence will be felt for years to come.
     Unscrupulous publishers and scam artists hated her and "Writer Beware" with a passion because Ann exposed them for the slime they were and in doing so, made the literary world a better place. Victoria Strauss says Writer Beware isn't going bye-bye because Ann is gone--it's still going to expose the slime.
     The two things I remember best about Ann was her professionalism in writing and her sense of humor. She took pride in her art and did her best to pass along tips and tricks of the trade to aspiring writers.
     I met her in AOL's "Author's Lounge," a sort of haven for writers, artists and general hangers on. I didn't place the name at first, though I had her Han Solo Trilogy of books. In time I got to know her from her posts and chatting with her about writing and such.
     She offered to critique "the first fifty" pages of "Miru's Lesson." After reading it, she gave me some valuable pointers, and more importantly told me what I did right. Too many writers focus so much on correcting what they do wrong they often screw up what IS right.
     After the critique, I began to revise Miru's Lesson and had a problem. Like most writers, I "fell in love" with my own words and didn't want to cut some stuff out.
     I asked for some advice on how to go about editing in the Author's Lounge. I'll never forget her words, because it was appropriate AND hilarious at the same time.
     "Scott, you're on the right track in questioning 'how much to cut'. Basic rule: If it detracts from the plot or doesn't advance it, dump it. I know you don't want to slash your opus magnum, but now you have to accept reality, MAN UP AND START CUTTING!"
     What can you say to that except, "Yes, Ma'am" and take the advice of a pro?
     Armed with the knowledge, I cut and chopped and did all the writer stuff. Wasn't easy, but it did make me a better writer because I learned not think every word I wrote is Shakespearean-quality literature.
     I look back on these words and know the world is just a little poorer because she's no longer with us. I miss my friend.
    Rest in peace, Ann.

     

     
     
     
     
   

No comments:

Post a Comment